Sunday, October 5, 2014

Week 3: Learning Theories and Motivation

Learning Scenario

The readings for this week reinforced what I have been trying to change in my one-shot classes.  Prior to attending ACRL Immersion, my one-shots were mostly lecture and demonstration, followed by student search time, during which they would then use the resource I had demonstrated to them.  I was dissatisfied by the outcome.  Many students were disengaged and did not use the time for searching.  Additionally, there was no time for them to collaborate.  I have created a group teaching activity which is much more successful.  I used Constructivist learning theory to help me build the exercise.  

Activity

I first randomly split the class up into groups of 3-4 students. I have divided the library resources they are expected to learn among the groups (one per group) and I have each group spend time getting to know a library resource very well in order to teach it to the rest of the class.  I give them a strict time constraint as well as guiding questions for them to answer.  The leading questions include asking them to describe a scenario when they would definitely use their resource and a contrasting scenario when their resource would not be an appropriate choice.

Motivation and Assessment

Presenting in front of their peers gives them an added motivation to know their resource.  The group work time gives them the ability to either collaborate, if they learn collaboratively, or to learn on their own with the support of the group when needed.  The presentation aspect allows the extroverted students to share and the introverted students to hang back if needed but still jump in with answers to questions.  Finally, the rest of the class is more attentive when their classmates are demonstrating a database. At the end, I do a live-poll assessment that leads into a review so I can hit any points that the groups may have missed.

Reflection

While, for the most part, the group teaching activity has been successful, I would like to take it further.  Ideally, I would like to draw more on the students' experiences to make learning more relevant and to align my one-shots further with Constructivist learning theory.  In this activity, I don't take the time to draw out their experience with researching on the internet.  I do have one group present on a resource of their choice that is not a library tool.  Most of the time, students pick Google Scholar or Wikipedia and this will lead us into a discussion on the difference between internet searching and library research.  I feel that I need to tap into their experience earlier in the session.  I have a colleague that starts from Google and then goes into the library databases, similar to what Cooperstein and Kocevar-Weidinger wrote about in their article.  I am open to any suggestions!  Please feel free to leave a comment or send me an email!






1 comment:

  1. Hi Ava, this looks good, are you aligning this with one of Small's motivation theories? That might help you think about how to draw out students' own expertise. I often use comparison in my teaching, especially with freshmen, to get them comparing what they have typically used (google) with a new resource.

    ReplyDelete